Tuesday, May 20, 2008

On The Roof

I just had quite the adventure!  I was putting Toby and CJ down for a nap upstairs, and Bo was crying in his swing downstairs, waiting to be fed.  I assumed I would take a few minutes to put the boys down, then come downstairs to feed Bo.  I had the boys' door open, and Toby slammed it shut.  I went to open it, turned the doorknob, kept turning, kept turning, and the door wouldn't open!  The doorknob somehow broke when the door was slammed.  Then I heard a hungry scream from downstairs, and realized there was no way I could get downstairs to feed Bo.  I tried everything I could think of to fix the doorknob, but nothing worked!  So, I opened the window, and, very self-consciously, yelled "Help!" like an idiot.  Then I realized it was 1:00 in the afternoon, and about 105 degrees outside.  No one was going to be just hanging out outside!  Then I found myself in one of those situations I stay awake at night thinking about... how would I get out of the house if I was stuck in one of the bedrooms?  I pulled off the screen from the window, opened it, and hoisted myself out the window and onto the roof.  Our house is built so that the boys' window faces about 4 other houses opposite ours, and there is a bit of roof underneath their window that covers our patio, if that makes sense.  So, I carefully slid down to the edge of the roof, planning on holding onto the edge of the roof and just dropping down to the ground, which would only be a few feet below mine.  However, as I mentioned, it was about 105 degrees, and the roof was much too hot to touch with my bare feet and hands.  Plus, there was a fence and nothing but gravel and rocks underneath me.  I thought about just jumping onto the grass a few feet from our house, but then realized breaking my neck wouldn't really help matters either.  So, I prayed that God would send someone, looked up, and saw a man getting his mail from the mailbox across the street.  Again, like an idiot, I shouted, "Excuse me!  Excuse me!  Can you help me?"  He had started to walk away, but then came back and looked at me, as I  explained the situation to him and asked him if he had a phone.  He smiled and said, "No, but I can get you one," and walked back to his house, came back, and threw his cell phone to me.  I called Keith, who after a couple calls, picked up, and explained to him what happened.  He came home about 15 min. later, and thankfully, the door opened from the outside.  I fed Bo while he fixed the door.  He is so handy!  Now we know how a doorknob works!  He got his tools and figured out what was wrong with the knob, and fixed it!  The boys kept saying, "Yay, Daddy!  Daddy fixed it!  Daddy saved the day!"  

As Keith was leaving to go back to work, I pointed out that I was a damsel in distress, and he came to rescue me! :~)

I am thankful, in all of this, how good and sovereign God is, over every little detail of my life.  In his wisdom, Toby slammed the door when I was in the room with the boys, and while Bo was strapped into his swing.  While I was waiting, no one could get hurt.  Although Bo was hungry, he could have easily gone another hour before eating (it was only 3 hours since I had last fed him).  Keith had his phone on and was able to answer.  The boys' window is in direct sight of the mailbox, and that man just happened to get his mail at the exact moment I needed help!  I sometimes struggle with fear about something happening to the boys, or them getting hurt.  What a reminder of how good God is to me (and my boys)!  Because of Jesus taking the punishment I deserve for my great sin against God, I am now loved by God!  He is sovereign over every little detail of my life, and works it all for my good!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

first of all - that is a great perspective, Carrie. way to remind yourself of truth and guard your heart from inordinate fear!

and second - that is a CRAZY story! oh. my. gosh. wow.

Jessica said...

Okay - wow! I can't imagine the conversation with Keith . . . Hi Honey, how is your day going - I am on the roof and I need some help!

Wow! Thank goodness you are all okay! What a blessing.

Love Jess

Brandy said...

I almost thought maybe it was a dream or something...praise Jesus you are all okay! And what a great reminder to put ourselves under God's great wings of protection and not second-guess Him...thanks for sharing.

Meg said...

terrific story carrie! wow. God is so good.

sorry that you didn't know I had a blog. I didn't tell anybody about it at first because I wanted to see if I would really keep up with it. =)

Maybe one of these days we can catch up . . . it feels like it's been forever.

love ya!
Megan