Sunday, February 24, 2008

Meat Loaf

This is by far Toby's and CJ's most favorite meal!  They could easily eat an entire loaf between the two of them, no exaggeration!  The first time I made this, Toby put down his fork and excitedly proclaimed, "I LIKE it!"  I will making this for dinner on his birthday (March 11).  I'm pretty sure they like it mostly because of the 1/2 cup of brown sugar, but whatever! :~)

Glazed Meat Loaf

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup, divided
1 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon dried basil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 package ground turkey
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced

Preheat oven to 375.  Press brown sugar into bottom of loaf pan.  Spread 1/2 cup ketchup over brown sugar.  In large bowl, combine remaining ketchup, oats, and all remaining ingredients.  Place on top of ketchup in pan, and  bake at 375 for 1 hr 10 min. or until thermometer registers 160.  Let stand 10 min.  Remove from pan and cut into slices.  (Actually, at this point, I carefully invert the pan onto a plate to get all the yummy glaze on top).

I serve this with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.

No comments: